HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with guns across state lines
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003, 06:28 PM
DreaminBoutElk

Default RE: Traveling with guns across state lines

Long guns are legal to transport across state lines provided you comply with that states particular suite of regulations regarding transportation. In most cases if the gun is unloaded and in a case where you can' t get to the ammunition you' re cool. As far as hand guns, that' s a different matter. NY has one of the most stringent hand guns laws I know of. Can' t buy, posess, carry, transport, Etc Etc without a pistol permit. I' m not sure if out of state permits are valid or not. Colorado allows pistols to be carried when hunting as does CA, NM and AZ. Not about WY or MT

For the most part, I' d think if it' s legal to carry in the state that you' re hunting in, pack it in locked case in your trunk and don' t take it out till you get there. You shouldn' t get hassled if you' re not causing trouble.

If you' re going to ship it I' d do some checking, I think you' re supposed to have an FFL to ship a hand gun. Anybody here have an FFL and know the rules on that??