HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whats happening ( 22 hornet )
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats happening ( 22 hornet )

The 22 Hornet is one of the most finicky cartridges there is to reload. You did pick a tough one to start with. But you should still be able to do it very well with a little practice, and some suggestions.

The necks on the hornet are very thin. Therefore they will crush very easily. If you have the standard RCBS dies then seating can be a little difficult. It is very easy to get your bullet misaligned in the case. Or in other words it is easy to mess up your runout(bullet perfectly in alignment with the case). Also since the necks are thin it is easy to smash or slightly get your neck out of round while seating. You will actually feel that when seating the bullet. It will feel like you are "smashing" the case with the bullet. An easy way to prevent this is to take a pair of tweasers and hold the bullet(as close to the base as possible) while you run the bullet up into the seater die. You want to hold the bullet as straight up and down as possible. The straighter you hold it the less run out you will have.

I do not use the priming pin in my dies. I use a RCBS depriming die. That Hornet hole is a hard hole to hit.

I also do not use theresizing buttonfor 22 Hornet resizing. But that is another thread. Tom.