HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Oregon Cougars? Bears? Banned!?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oregon Cougars? Bears? Banned!?

Hello there, You are right! I live in Southern Oregon, and cougar hunting and bear baiting was banned quite a while ago and the cougar population has exploaded! Oregon Department of fish and wildlife now extended the season. It is cougar season all year long! You just cannot shoot a mom with cubs. Bear baiting I don't mind about cause bears don't harm much... I still hunt them though! I actually got one with my bow last year just hiking around! and yes their population is getting higher and higher every year. The blacktail deer are not doing to good cause the cougars kill about 2 a week! Andwith the population of cougars getting higher, it's not looking to good for the deer! Elk are pretty big animals, but a cougar can take one of them down to, so I would like it if they open the hunting cougars with dogs again! I wouldn't hunt them with dogs either, but a lot of other people would love to! Fish and game also has an additional tag that you can buy to, so you can shoot 2 a year and you have all year to do it! Still it is so rare to see a cougar that a lot of people don't get the chance to.