HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tag Costs / Applications Non-residents
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default Tag Costs / Applications Non-residents

This is my little rant about non-resident tag fees etc...

Maybe there's a problem I haven't thought of with setting a standard non-resident fee multiplier to tags, but so far I haven't thought of it.

I'd like to see a 8x or 10x maximum multiplier to non-residents and even less like 6-8x would be ideal. Anything more just seems ridiculous, but it would be nice to see some uniformity in how tags are issued.

I don't mind having to buy a non-res license to build pts and buy a tag, but having to pay full tag fees up front does limit the amount of tags you can apply for and build pts for. If you apply for 5 species per state and apply for 5 states, thats 25 tags you're applying for, and may not even draw 1 tag, so why should we have to frotn the money, I think a charge card billed at the time of the draw is the ideal way of doing it.

Especially fronting sheep tag costs etc...

I'd also like to see every state have an online system, which is free, why should there be an online convenience fee? it saves everyone money, so why charge more for something that saves a state money etc...? This makes no sense.

Also I'd like to see more randomness in drawings....most states are pretty fair in my view, but wyoming....75% of the tags goto the max points holders, leaving 25% for a random draw, so if an area issues 4 tags, only 1 of those tags will go in a random draw, and in that random draw, obviously those with more pts have better odds. If all of those tags were issued in a random draw, odds are still that people with the most pts would draw the tag, this only discourages people with few or no pts from applying IMO. Wyoming should flip these percentages or just erase them completely, as should other states...or like Nevada squaring system.....so a person with 10 pts would go in the draw 100x, and a person with 1 pt would go in once, who do you think will draw the tag? sure that 1 pt is possible, but highly highly unlikely....but much fairer than wyoming's 75/25 policy.