HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - oldest treestand member
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 09:45 PM
vERN
Spike

Default RE: oldest treestand member

Hi, " kids" . I' m 76 and still use a tree stand some. Although I' ll have to admit that after turning 70 I started to start to learn how to hunt from the ground. A lot harder, but like to be able to move around with changing circumstances. I find that I cann' t go out and hang 3 or 4 stands in a day - one is the limit, and I have help from my son. Also, I find that I cann' t stand on screw in steps and hang the stand, so make my own ladders out of a couple of 5' TV mast tubes - 1 male & 1 female - (can put the steps closer together too!!) I normally hunt about 11 - 12' as if I' m over 15' I might as well leave my bow at home because I will be using both hands to hang unto the tree. Although, I used to fly and had a couple of planes, but that is different from standing on a 2' platform. Being blessed with so many birthdays I had to put lighter limbs on my bow last year, but my shots have to be closer than 30 yds. I' ll have to admit that now it is about 60% from the ground and 40% from a stand, either strap-on or permanent. I would like to bow hunt until I' m 80, muzzleload hunt until 85 and then concentrate on fishing after that, but time will tell.