HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .357 Magnum For Bear
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Bugflipper
Fork Horn

Default RE: .357 Magnum For Bear

Do you already have access to a 357 or are you planning to purchase one? It sounds like you are recoil sensitive, which is fine many of us are as well. The 44 mag, 30-30 and 35 rem are all available in the 94 on the used rack with very little recoil and would serve you much better for deer hunting later than the 357. I have no doubt the 357 will work if everything is ideal, but if you do not have one yet, it's going to lead to disapointment some time down the road if you use it on big game. I am going with pygmy on this one, I have never personally used a 243 but it has a lot more energy than the 357.

Just for reference down the line. The recoil pad can be removed on synthetic stocked rifles and the cavity filled with lead shot. The recoil pad can be replaced with a deccelerator. A recoil shield can be worn. I have a battle injury. The strongest rifle I have is a 308. I do not fill it with lead but do the other things and shoot a semi auto to bring the recoil down to 223 class. I haven't used the 308 in several years since I now use an ar with different uppers for hunting.
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/out...oducts_id=6460
This will bring a 30-06 or 308 down to a 243 feel by itself. Any of the model 94 calibers listed above will be knocked down to a 223 recoil or less.
Blessings