Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
MOhunter46
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Head Shots

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: .243Heartshot

Where on the head do you aim for a head shot in the ear or eye?
Ear. Drops them like a rock. You most certainly don't want to be much forward of the ear, because if you get a little low, it seems to me that you could end up with a jaw shot and a wounded deer. If you're back by the ear, and you go a little low, you'll get spine, and/or jugular and they're still going to be dead instantly. Be aware that they do tend to twitch a bit afterward, kinda like when you chop the head off a chicken.
Thats the whole point ofNOT taking a head shot. You could blow off the deer jaw and wound the deer. I dont care how good of a shot you think you are, things can happen and you might not hit what you are aiming at.Why cant people understand that.
Things can happen regardless of your point of aim. The buck I shot this year had been shot at last year and I presume the "marksman" was aiming for the heart/lungs area. He had a healed up bullet wound that was just behind the rib cage and passed just under the spine... Obviously, things can and do happen regardless of where you choose to shoot. As I said, you don't want to hit too far forward of the ear when taking a head shot or you'll just hit jaw. I could just as easily have said, you don't want to shoot too far behind the shoulder when taking a lung shot or you'll have a gutshot deer...

I'm in Texas, and, like it or not, the most common method here is hunting from a blind over corn. Being in a blind gives you a very solid shooting platform. The does will put their heads down to eat the corn, and it presents a nice stable target. And, as I said before, with a 9X scope, at 50 yards, you can pretty much pick which hair you want to cut with the bullet...

We've had a gentleman on this thread say that he has shot the back legs of running deer with buckshot and because he hit the femoral artery, the deer bled out. It seems to me that a head shot is a lot less risky than that...
Id rather have a gutshot deer than a deer with it's jaw blown off