HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pellet gun scope problems
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 10:26 AM
kodiakhuntmaster
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pellet gun scope problems

ORIGINAL: J The Deer Slayer

Pellet guns are hard on scopes because of their "double recoil." I'm not sure exactly how it works or what causes it. I cant find anything about the pellet guns double recoil because there is another version in other guns.

What i know is this: Once you squeeze the trigger you have to "fallow through" your shot because of how slow the pellet comes out of the barrel. The recoil moves the barrel and then the pellet is coming out. Then something causes more movement while the pellet is still coming out of the barrel. I know the movement comes from the firing mechanism but I don't know anything about that part of the gun.

So, once all of this happens you have double recoil. This is why pellet guns are a great way to practice marksmanship.
The reverse recoil is unique only to spring piston (break barrel) air rifles. Precharged pneumatic (filled by a scuba tank, hand pump, or co2), and variable pump air rifles don't have the problem.The reason it's there is because the heart of the gun is a large spring piston, which is compressed when it's cocked and must travel a short distance before the piston can build up enough air pressure for the pellet to begin travelling down the barrel. Once enough of the air pressure is released, the piston slams to it's stop, creating a forward pressure and sending a wave of vibration through the rifle. You're right on with follow through being very important, as well as the rifle being very temperamental about how you grip it to shoot.

Most scopes that aren't made for air rifles will break if put on a spring powered air rifle since they aren't made to take that type of vibration. And most cheaper air rifle scopes aren't made to very high standards (daisy). I would say a good mid range 4x32 scope made by any reputable air rifle manufacturer would be fine. I use one made by Beeman.