HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - plot too close to house?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Bugflipper
Fork Horn

Default RE: plot too close to house?

The deer may get used to the dogs. Or the dogs may get used to the deer. I have a garden/winter food plot 35 yards from the back door. They are in there day or night unless I am outside. The chesapeake barks at them from the porch but they just watch her and eat. The deer bed about 200 yards away. So I guess they determined the dog is a nuisence they live with. It is bread to guard and retrieve. Not to chase away or fight. So since it is not aggresive the deer are fine with it. The poor lab doesn't have enough sense to run anything off, he just looks at the dumby barking and wants to play. I do not get onto her for any barking since my wife wanted her for a gaurd dog. But I do not tolerate them running anything but a downed bird or an object thrown with command to fetch. Dogs can easily be trained with an e-collar humanely. I tried it on myself at 1, which I rarely use on them. Most of the time it is only a voice command or in extreme circumstances a warning beep with no stimulation. The collar on 1 feels like a very slight vibration. I have never had to go any higher on them than 1. So try it out. If the food is good enough they shouldn't mind a dog barking as long as it's just doing that.