HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Squirrel double with a pellet rifle
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
kodiakhuntmaster
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Squirrel double with a pellet rifle

ORIGINAL: wetpwdr53

Great job on those squirrels. I have a Beeman GS700 but it looks just like yours. I put a BSA scope on it last summer but just can't get any consistency with my groups. Any suggestions? Thanks
Spring powered air rifles are probably the most popular for hunting, but they are also probably the most picky about detail too. Here's the most likely causes of your problem.

- The scope. For right now, take it off and shoot open sights at 10-15 yards. If your groups tighten up, then you know for sure the scope was the problem.

- The pellets. Just like firearms, air rifles can be picky about ammo. I tried several brands before I found which ones my rifle shot best. Gamo Rocket pellets worked good for me, but Gamo PBA and other "hyper velocity" pellets should be avoided since they're hard on your gun, expensive, and generally aren't accurate at longer ranges in most air rifles.

- Your form. Spring powered air rifles are "hold sensitive" and require a different form than most of us are used to. In short, you want to have as little contact with the rifle as possible. The most consistant way to shoot a springer is to put your left hand about 3-6" up past the trigger guard on the rifle's forearm, with your fingers open. The rifle should be resting on your open palm. Only your thumb and trigger finger of your right hand should contact the trigger and wrist of the rifle. And your cheek to stock weld should just be enough to get a good view of the sights.
You probably won't get your best groups from a bench rest either, if you do use a rest, use a rolled up towel or other soft object. The reason that the form is so different is because your gun is powered by a large spring piston that is moving before the pellet has even left the barrel and causing vibration. You want that vibration to happen as consistantly as possible, as consistancy is the key to accuracy.

If that doesn't work, check all your stock screws for tightness. Also, it can take up to 1000 rounds or so before your rifle settles in and shoots it's best.