HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mossberg 817 .17 HMR
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Sentiax
Spike

Default Mossberg 817 .17 HMR

I decided to write a review about an HMR I just bought too. Dick's had this one on sale for 130 down from 180 I believe, and I couldn't pass it up. It is a bolt action, and comes with a 5 round magazine. I purchases a Simmons 3-9x scope from Dick's as well and had it placed on here. Over all the gun was a great deal, but I did have a few problems with it.

One thing that I don't like about the gun is that it's EXTREMELY particular about ammo, to the point of where I actually had to adjust the scope when switching types or brands of ammo. I've only tried a few, those being Horandy V-Max .17 grain polymer tipped, Federal Premium Polymer Tip, Winchester Hollowpoint, and Winchester polymer tip. Before I get started on the accuracy problems, I also want to state that the gun has a hard time chambering Hollowpoints. It works with the polymer tips fine, but when trying to load the hollow points, the bolt wouldn't push them forward. I had to actually push the magazine up before it would chamber the rounds. Anyway, moving on. I sighted the scope with the Horandy V-Max, and they worked AMAZINGLY well. They were extremely consistent and accurate at 100 yds. I was getting 1/2" groups or less at 100yds. After the Horandy's I shot the Hollowpoints, and they were all over the place. I couldn't seem to get very consistent groups. The next day I shot the Federal's and they shot basically as well as the horandy round, but the Winchester's again were very difficult. I dont' know whether this was because it was a bit windy, or just bad ammunition, but even in the wind I had much better luck with the Federal and Horandy Rounds. I wish I could have shot it more, but ammunition is a bit more expensive than I would like to be shooting it all the time. Overall it's a great gun, very sturdy yet light, and extremely accurate when using the appropriate ammo. I would buy it again and would reccomend it to someone else.