HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you get nervous???
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 PM
drockw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you get nervous???

A couple have said they have never had the oppurtunity on a large buck so they dont know what nervous is. I thought the same thing until it happened. When ive seen/shot at the larger bucks the rack size really hasnt had an effect on me. It makes me more determined to get it right, but it is that drive that seems to make me do the right thing. Ive had a few in range oppurtunities on large bucks, and i have only made a bad decision on one. I had a 150-160" deer that we had been filming all summer before season and i rattled him in. He ran right in to me, and i drew and he stopped directly under me. He then looked up at me, and stomped his feet like he was gonna jolt so i shot. My limb hit the stand, and my arrow hit limbs under me. The result was luckily a cleanly missed deer, but a lesson learned. It seems to me like i will consciously make more passive decisions on bucks, b/c of the fear of wounding one. I know it sounds kind of biased to not care as much about does, but it is the truth. By no means am i out flinging arrows and wounding deer, so dont mistake me there... I just would rather have the monster buck walk away and live to fight another day than to make a poor shot on him. I guess thats kind of an ethics thing really.

Derek