HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - English Springer Spaniel
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: English Springer Spaniel

ORIGINAL: Redskin_Archer

thanks for the response. I hadn't thought of the whistle training. He knows sit, stay and come with hands and words I wouldn't think a whistle would be too hard.
JimmyS that's a nice looking dog there.
If he understands and obeys the basic commands, you are definitely starting off right before he starts hunting. It was very easy to whistle train my dog. I started with a very short check cord, whistled for him and gave him the command to 'come'. He was rewarded each time. I gradually increased the length while staying in sight. I was finally able toput him at a stay command and went out of sight and again blew the whistle. It was not long before he associated the whistle with the command to come. Even when hunting season is over, I always work with himfor reinforcement.

Like all hunters, we are proud of our dogs. My Springer now is a very competent hunter that loves doing what he was bred for. But, that took time. I learned that when he first went hunting, he was very excited and definitely worked too fast. I had to try to slow him down. I learned that now, before we go out, I let him run to get rid of all that energy. When they are very young, it's a learing experience for both you and the dog. It was actually the 3rd season hunting that my dog became good at what he was doing. He finally understood what was expected of him while enjoying chasing those birds. As an example a friend, who had a stroke a few years back, began hunting with us. He never thought he could ever enjoy bird hunting again. His left side was affected and he walked very slowly. He was able to use a 20 ga and shoot with the gun under his right armpit. We kept the dog close to him and my buddy soon understood when the dog was into birds. As soon as the dog got birdy, it gave my buddy enough time to get ready for the shot, which he did successfully EVERY tme. We are allowed 2 birds a day/10 per year and he tagged out every time with us. I give him a lot of credit because he was hunting over a flusher, not a pointer.

Take yout time, enjoy being with him during hunting season, especially while he is very young and continues to learn.