HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I need advice on my first deer rifle
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need advice on my first deer rifle

Our Wal-Mart had and I say had as I called about it the other night and they said they didn't have any but I'm not sure if he just didn't know they had them or they really didn't as he didn't have time to look and told me they had 770's. However, when I was in there a week and a half or so ago I saw a Remington model 700 in a .270 in synthetic stock on clearance for $300. I wish I had bought it. I would have if I had of had the extra money. I have a buddy that has one in wood and a older one and he absolutely loves that thing.

I've not had the best luck with my Remington 870 but other than that I've had okay luck with Remington guns. Maybe check and see what Wal-Mart has.

Another friend bought a Savage in a .243 there also I think he payed something like $419 and his is a nice looking rifle and has a scope. He likes the scope and is a very good shot with it. Infact one of the guys that's probably the best shot or one of the best shots I know was saying how much he liked the gun and scope. I know some guys on here say they are crap though. If they fail you can just upgrade. More than likely however, they would last you a while or at least long enough to save up some to upgrade. Heck I have a $30 Tasco well $31 something now that has been good to me on my Muzzle loader. I like it better than my $223 Leupold VX-I and have had better luck with it. So if you got a gun with no scope you could get something like that to get you by.

That being said I bought a Browning BAR 30-06 for my first large caliber rifle. As in bigger than .22 caliber and I like the 30-06 round a lot for deer.I like the gun but it's very picky on which ammo it shoots accurately. That is to get good groups. I'm also not sure that you could find one in your budget. I wanted a semi auto that's why I got this but I'm not sure if I was on a tight budget I'd get a semi auto or pay anywhere near what that gun cost.