HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - English Springer Spaniel
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: English Springer Spaniel

I also have a Springer, he's a 6yr old intact male. He was started on pheasant wings and that worked out well. Since Springers are bird dogs, they already know how to hunt, in timethey will understand what they're hunting for.

The only pieces advice I can give that has worked well for me over the years with my dog are:

When first introducing wings to your dog, make it fun. Put them where it's easy to find and praise him everytime he returns with one. Make it special and you will see the excitement. He will thenhave a a good idea what's to come when he finally goes afield. Make any and all training sessions fun and short. 3 sessions at 10 min each is better than 1 session lasting 30 min.
Make certain he obeys. Starting to hunt with any dog that is obedience trained is paramount.
Staying close is crucial. Train him not to range too far, out of gunshot range.
Whistle train him as well so he comes at once everytime he hears your whistle. The worst sound in the field is another hunter yelling for his dog to come.
Training to hunt close and respond to a whistle is relatively easy to do. Iwill be happy tohelp.

Once he understands what he's hunting forand understand the pleasure he gives you, he will then realize he is hunting for you, not for him. Praise and reward are awlays key especiallythe first time in the field. Springers are very intelligent dogs and will soon realize what is expected of them as well as doing what they were bred to do. He will soon get to the point where he realizes a gunshot equals a down bird. My Springer always looks the bird down and waits for my command to fetch. Once he retrieves it, he is alwlays praised but once the bird is put away, he is ready to begin again. He's a great meat hunter that is absolutely relenltess.

Your little guyalready knows how to hunt, it's up to you to teach him the rest.
Good Luck with your Springer. You will soon have a dog that will bring a smile to your face for years to come.

Here's a pic of my wet, tired dog from last season: