HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - English Springer Spaniel
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Paulpskp
Spike

Default RE: English Springer Spaniel

I have had several Springers and they just need to be introduced to birds. Visit a shooting preserve where you have a field to yourself. Go along with the operator when he plants birds so you know where to go and the dog learns that if he stays with you he will find birds. Before field experience though make sure he is not gun shy, though I never had a Springer that was gun shy but it does happen. I use take mine to a gun club and park down the road aways from where they were shooting. Let the dog out of the vehicle on a leash and walk him around. He will hear the shooting in the distance, the dog maybe wary at first but will quickly learn it does no harm. Walk him closer, if he dosen't get skidish take him as close as you can. Don't over do it the first time, several trips of repeating this procedure if needed. Eventually you can get up close and personal. When introducing your dog to birds take along a partner, that way you can work the dog and your partner can harvest the birds. Make sure your partner understands that this dog is learning and make sure he dosen't shoot too close to the dog. I use to train my dogs in areas where their was no hunting. That way I just consentrated on training the dog not about bagging a bird, their is plenty of time for that over the course of the year. Take your time, be patient the dog will figure it out if you do your part. There are some really good DVD's on dog training find one that applies to Springers or labs for the field if you can't find one on Springers. Good luck.