HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - QDM, does it make Bucks STUPID?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 AM
jackflap
Typical Buck

Default RE: QDM, does it make Bucks STUPID?

I understand and agree that lack of overall hunting pressure is PART of what I experienced, but keep in mind there is still a lot of hunting taking place on this ranch. They killed somewhere around 80 deer(mostly doe) on this ranch which granted is still only one per 112 acres, but it does get some hunting
pressure and lots of human activity.

I am wondering if the OTHER PART of the equation deals with the fact that some of these STUPID deer would have been killed earlier in life in a different setting, but by being protected, not only do they become too comfortable in their surroundings, but also pass on their STUPID genes as opposed to being killed as a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 yo and minimizing their contribution to the genetic pool.

All theoretical I know, and probably can't be proved/disproved.

But I for whatever reason, I can tell you that after this experience, big horns by themselves don't impress me near as much as they did before this trip. This experience has added another layer to the location argument and how hard it is to compare one area to another, whether it be geopgraphical or management practices.

The pictures were shot with a Nikon D300.