HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arizona unit 6A
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003, 03:09 PM
DreaminBoutElk

Default RE: Arizona unit 6A

There are a couple of Az folks that post here that can probably help you out with some hunting areas. I' d get topos of the whole zone and start studying them for potential good elk habitat. Identify a couple of drainages or mountians and make some calls to the local game biologists or ranger and ask them specific questions about particular areas. If you ask generic questions about the areas you' ll get generic answers. When you get a biologist or ranger on the phone have your maps handy. He may mention a moutain range or drainage and you can look it up right there and maybe come up with some detailed questions. Those guys will help a bunch if you' re prepared when you talk to them.
I would not agree that drawing a tag is half the battle. As a matter of fact, the battle ain' t even started yet. From the tone of your post I assume (maybe I shouldn' t) that you' re a first time elk hunter. Elk live in some extremely tough country and if you want to see big elk you have to get off the roads a few miles. That means a lot of hiking at altitude. Your best bet is to start now conditioning your body for the abuse you' ll have to put it through in Nov. Hiking, running whatever you can do will help.

I' m curious about how many points you had in this draw? I' ve been collecting points for two years and want to hunt that same area