HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Waiting
Thread: Waiting
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 AM
mulvany
Fork Horn

Default Waiting

This season I have been plagued with hunting partners that shoot the first duck locked up...for example: We were field hunting and had a group of 50 birds locked up and coming in when my partner shot the lead duck which was about 30 yards in front of the flock of 50 behind it, causing all the group to barrel out of there past shooting range. (He didn't wait for the pit boss' call)
My other buds have been doing this too. I was sick of it so Saturday I went alone to take out some honkers. I had 300 locked up coming in. About a 1/4 of the group were 20 yards out and about 10 yards high, definitely shooting range, but I wanted a chance for a double (obviously), so I waited for them to fall in a little closer with the rest of the group following them so I would have a better chance for a second shot. They started looping and circled out and landed about 100 yards behind me.
Question is: What would you have done? Would you have waited or taken the first shot at the first Canada? I still support my decision, though it cost me.