HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .223 or 22-250 ????
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 AM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .223 or 22-250 ????

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I'm not knocking you guys that own accu-trigger equipped rifles, but I don't care for the goofy glock like rifle version of safe-t-trigger. I'd MUCH rather have an excellent trigger that breaks with NO discernible movement whatsoever like a glass rod at about 1.5-2#. And try pulling trigger on the very side without touching the tab-it will still discharge. Now the accu-triggers do make for a decent trigger when you bypass the goofy tab by pinning or blocking it to rearmost position. It will STILL be 100% safe if properly adjusted in 1st place.
I have a great deal of respect for Stalkingbear, but this is not entirely true. If you pull the trigger without depressing the tab, the main sear will release and the striker will move forward slightly, unsetting the trigger, but the trigger safety acts as a very positive secondary sear that blocks the full release of he sear and firing pin. If this happens, the bolt handle will need to be lifted to reset the trigger, but the rifle should NOT discharge. If it does, then the mechanism is broken and should be taken in to a gunsmith for immediate repair. Like all "safeties," one should not rely on such a mechanism as a substitute for safe gun handling. I have two Savage Accu-Trigger rifles, so this thought had already occured to me, so I tested it one day at the range with my 10ML-II by placing a primer in the bolt without a charge in the barrel and pulling the trigger without depressing the trigger safety, and the rifle did NOT fire, nor did the firing pin move forward enough to touch the primer. I also tested my Model 114 .30-06 by observing the sear/striker movement (unloaded and pointed in a safe direction, see above), and it to stops the firing pin well before it gets anywhere close to striking the primer.

Mike