HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Just how tough is it?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 AM
rybohunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just how tough is it?

PA is tough, and like many said, quite varied. Over the years I've hunted everything form the central "big woods" to the western suburbs. Not familiar with the east side if the state at all, other than what I read. I'm fortunate in that most of my areas still hold very good numbers of deer. But finding a mature buck on accessible land is VERY difficult. Private land helps, but is certainly no guarantee. From my experiences besides the relentless hunter pressure, people pressure in general really make things difficult. I know deer adjust to human pressure, but that's when its everyday routine.(someone walking thier dog, etc) I run into random people pressure that kills me. There's no patterning that.

Add in the mentality of the majority of PA hunters, that if its legal is HAS to be shot and you still get very few bucks reaching maturity even with our AR's. It's almost like a race for people to get thier buck as quick as they can by any means neccesssary. Poaching and roadkills take thier toll as well.

I laugh on here when people talk about "pressure". Spend a season in PA and then we'll talk "pressure".