HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ethical dilema.......what would you do??? (Update!) (Ending to the story) (Pics)
Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Rory/MO
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ethical dilema.......what would you do???(Pics)

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

the last part wasnt supposed to be quoted, but i wish you would explain yourself a little bit... i dont see why this is hurting anything..

poaching= bad
taking a deer out of its misery= ??????

it really doesnt matter to me what you think is right, but if youre gonna say stuff like that you should say why... not tryin to sound like a smarta$$
Jordan,
Not sure if Rory was saying that in jest or not, but I agree with you if he was not getting around well, appeared to be suffering, I'd probably put him down as well. I think we owe it to these animals to do that. And I'm not sure if I'd tag that animal or not, but if I shot him and decided he was healthy enough to eat, then I WOULD put my tag on him as it's my responsibility in my opinion. If that deer was hobbling around looking sickly, and I was out of buck tags, and I truly believed he was suffering, then I would put one in him and leave him for the 'yotes. I did a similar thing earlier this year on a 1.5yr old button buck, he had scoliosis in his spine, and was missing and entire muscle group out of his left shoulder. The meat was fine, I've eaten nearly half of the meat I harvested off of him, I tagged him and had no qualms about it. Unfortunately in Ohio, we are only allotted one buck tag, therefore, if I were to kill that buck, it would burn my buck tag, therefore, I'd hesitate more to kill him than if i were in a state where I could burn 2 or mor buck tags.
That was my point.