HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-06 vs 308
Thread: 30-06 vs 308
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM
bmumford
Spike

Default 30-06 vs 308

Okay, I know some people are tired of this argument, but as I read up on peoples’ opinions, I learn more and more and see opinions change all the time (especially my own).

Let me give you some background: I'm pushing 40 years of age and am taking up hunting (all kinds) for the first time in my life. I've been reading books, blogs, and magazines for the past year or so, and 2009 will mark my first hunting season(s). I have a bow, a slug gun, andnow I want a rifle.

My first question is this; 30-06 or a 308?

From what I have read, a .30-06 will shoot farther and flatter than a .308—period. However, from what I have also read, sharp shooters are more accurate with a .308 on average—period—because whatever the 308 lacks in ballistics it more than makes up for in recoil reduction.

Additional background: I want to hunt everything from rabbits to bears.

According to the Alaska Department of Fish & Game (http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntalaska.firearms), magnum cartridges are NOT needed to hunt 1600 lb. Moose or 1500 lb. coastal brown bear. Bearing that in mind, and no pun intended, I am looking to the two classic all-in-one rifle calibers. By the way, the Alaskan government also lists both the 308 and the 30-06 as acceptable for anything Alaska has to offer.

More background: I have a 22LR, a handgun (not for hunting), a pump shotgun, and a slug gun; my wife will kill me if I buy too many more guns, and I need a couple more shotguns, so I’m looking for a due-it-all centerfire rifle.

So, is there anything I should consider besides what I mentioned between the two calibers? For example, is one better than the other for smaller game/lighter loads?