HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How sad hunting is becoming...
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
sits in trees
Fork Horn

Default RE: How sad hunting is becoming...

ORIGINAL: tky1187

I do apologize on the length of this post, but a co-worker and I who are both above avid hunters had a very intersting and really sad conversation the other day that I'm sure alot of you will be able to comprehend with.

We started discussing how we both just enjoy hunting and actually just harvesting deer. My friend is 34 and myself 24 so neither of us have hunted nearly as long as alot of people but we both hunt multiple states on public ground and private and just enjoy hunting and harvesting deer. Now I would not consider either of us to be trophy hunters. We are both as happy harvesting a 4point as we would be a 10, but I'm not making this post either for or against antler restricitions because it doesn'tmatter to me either way if we have them or not,but I do believe so called trophy hunting is one of the main things ruining hunting. It really makes me sick when I hear someone say why would you want to shoot a scrubby 6point when he may be a 10 next year? Who cares?!?! If someone wants to shoot the first legal buck and it makes them HAPPY then let it be. Myself and my friend we are Happy shooting the first legal bucks we see along with 75% of the hunting world. I'm not going to deny that shooting a monster won't make me happier than shooting a spike but I will not lose any sleep over it. 10 years ago you had very little of this bickering and fighting like you do today over shooting big bucks. People were more apt to share there hunting spots or allow you to hunt there land, but now with the big push for ''trophys''it's made people downright greedy.People are forgetting that hunting is supposed to be FUN and this is what I think is sad that people areforgetting that hunting is supposed to be FUN!

I enjoy shooting my bucks with the bow and have been very successful doing so, but I also enjoy hunting with ainline, flintlock, or a rifle so I'm not strictly a archery hunter, but enjoy hunting with any weapon. I have people say to me every year, why don't you wait for a big buck? My response is any buck with a bow is a trophy and I will stick to the till the day I die. These same people will say is theres NO deer so why are you filling all the doe tags you get!?!? I have2 responses tothis. First I say well if theres no deer then how is itthat I manage tofill all my tags? Now I will say that Idohunt most nights after work and everysay throughoutthe season soI do put alot of time in butI am by no means a full time hunter who doesn't work a 7 to 3:30 job.My next response is well how long ago has it been since you quit harvesting small bucks or no does? Most guys I have this conversation with are say 40. and there response is 5 years ago. Well I say ok so you were 35 when you quit harvesting does and little buck so that gives me 11more years to do so. This usually gets them thinking and changes there attitude a little bit.It all comes down to the fact that people forget where they came from and what used to make them happy! I'm sure the day will come when I start passing on small bucks and all the does but I assure you a young hunter laying the smack down and legally filling all his tags will do nothing but make me smile!!

The final statement my friend made was how he actually believes archery is one of the things destroying hunting. Now he is a avid archery hunter also and lives to archery hunt so this isn't coming from someone who hates archery hunters or anything like that. It took me awhile to agree with him but this made sense to me. The only way my friend used to hunt deer before archery hunting was in a gang with 25 guys. 10 years ago they could hunt on any of the gang members property and anyone could shoot any legal deer anywhere they hunted, because they were there to have FUN. Now as archery hunting and trophy hunting got more and more popular thisguy or that guyin the gang wouldn't want the 25 guys on his property possibly shooting the buck he watched all through archery season. This eventually led to the end of most of the gang hunting where so many hunters had so much fun for years and years. It sucks to admit but he's kinda right and if archery hunting wouldn't have grown so much in popularity where would we be? Don't get me wrong I will never quit archery hunting or lose my desire to send a arrow through a deer, because I think thats the best feeling in the world, but it is something to think about.

Sorry to be so long winded but these were just a few of the things we discussed that I thought many of you whether a full blown trophy hunter or someone like myself who doesn't consider himself a trophy hunter may want to think about.
wow, this post is so true, something i noticed myself also was this elitist attitude bow hunters seem to have. it's like they are the only ones out there that matter and any other hunting groups are some sort of subspecies that shouldnt even be in the woods. i spend some time on another bowhunting forum and really got peeved when i recently readan 18 year old bowhunter post about how he hates rifle season and rifle hunters????