HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do you think of a 1:24 barrel
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 07:42 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

spaniel

think the jury is still out for sabot use. Most 1:24s that came out a few years ago did NOT shoot well with sabots, the noise I picked up seemed to be that you had to keep the velocity down. The whole rationale for a faster twist is to use longer, heavier, higher BC bullets but you can't take advantage of them if you have to keep the velocity down. My hypothesis is that the sabots (which are very soft for MLs compared to sabots used in centerfire fast-twist rounds) begin to jump the rifling. Just a guess...
Not sure about the Spaniel - I have a White model 97 - U-Mag and sabots is all I shoot from it. I shoot the same combinations from it as I shoot from any other of my other inlines but I do have to change sabots to the MMP Short Black or the MMP HPH-12. I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f and the gun is accurate as anything I own and certainly is capable of shooter better than I can shoot...

This is a fairly recent target shot after a scope change - wanted to try one of the Hi-Lux - Toby Brodges scopes....

That will work for me.... I have a 200 yard target also soeplace but can not find it....It was decent also
Good to hear, most people I know shoot conicals from them.

I did not mean to imply 1:24s are universally bad (as mentioned the Savage is also) but at least in the .45s there have been a ton of problems with them. Rifling differs between guns even at the same twist, which would be one explanation, and another is the difference in calibers (as I mention the problems I references were in .45s). All I know is that it's not hard to get accuracy in a 1:28 but a lot of 1:24 offerings have been problematic.

Note that I never got my hands on one of the problematic .45s...if I had heard any good things about them I would have bought one back then as I liked the concept but reports were universally negative. I wish I could get my hands on one to test the reports myself. If sabots were really jumping rifling, you'd think the larger calibers would be MORE problematic as it seems the rifling would have to have a steeper pitch to match the twist rate (ie more distance of barrel to get around).