HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calculating Fletch Offset
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
MGH_PA
Nontypical Buck

Default Calculating Fletch Offset

Ok, although I made it through Calculus in high school, my math skills still are sub-par[8D] I shoot RH anyways, so this question is more or less for fun, and to finally understand a problem I've been racking over for about 15 minutes now. When fletching straight offset, there's often a degree recommendation (2-3, 4-6, etc). My question is how do you actually calculate the distance required for the front and/or rear of the fletch to offset from the centerline? At first, I just tried basic Trig. Given a 2" fletch (blazer) offset 2 degrees. Sin 2 x 2. Then I realized that you're not working on a 2d plane, but a 3d plane (the fletch base begins to curve and follow the contour of the shaft as it's offset), so that formula wouldn't work. I saw a poster over on AT mention that for a 2 degree offset on a 2" blazer, you would need to vary the front or the rear of the vane 1/16" from the centerline. How is that calculated? It's probably very simple, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.