HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best .270 ammo/ bullet for whitetails?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
wingchaser_labs
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best .270 ammo/ bullet for whitetails?

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

When I used factory ammo I loved Hornady 140 gr. SPBT's they would drop deer in their tracks, but you need to shoot whatever your rifle likes just about any bullet will kill a deer with ease.
I have to agree with the above statement...
I would agree also. The question I ask is what are you looking for. Shorter shooting heavy bullet with lots of knock down. Longer flatter shooting bullet with not as much knock down. Also a bullet that will do less meat damage or a bullet that with hit hard and put em down. Depends what your looking for. I shoot core locs when driving or sitting in thick areas and such cuz of the brush factor and being able to shoot through it better. If I'm sitting more open areas and fields and marsh I love 130gr Federal Vital shock nosler ballistic tips. Also depends if im out to shoota doe or buck. If all i'm doing is doe hunting I just shoot the 130gr core loc. If i know I'm sitting for a big buck I use the noslers cuz I want that extra knock down. Also shot a bull elk withthe noslers and he only went 15 yrds. Hunched up and stood there and stepped forward couple timesadn tipped over. Put a great hole in him.I've used 90gr hollow pointsI reloaded for shooting coyotes too and have shot two does with them. Dropped the one and the otehr only went 20 yards. WCL