HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Record Elk Confirmed
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
turtleshell

Default RE: New Record Elk Confirmed

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Guys, the governors tag programs are great for the wildlife, whether you are jealous of them or not. That 150K he paid for the tag at the auction ALL goes back into the wildlife, and goes a heck of alot further than my 500 tag would. If a guy wants to basically donate 150K to wildlife, I say why not let him hunt the primo unit?

His use of guides may have been excessive, but there have been no proven cases of foul play or unethical practices....which speaks even more for the bull. He hunted a few weeks for this animal, just as everyone else in the unit did (PUBLIC land). It wasn't a fly out, shoot, and leave deal like the WA governor's tag was allegedly.

I don't get why we would slander someone for putting their money to a good cause?

Money helped his chances significantly, but it certainly didnt buy this animal. It gave them the run around for several weeks, as well as all other public hunters out there. Some were beginning to doubt whether it would even be killed or not.

The difference between this hunt and a midwest whitetail hunt is on the whitetail hunt you show up walk to a stand that you have never seen before and sit and wait. This guy was out hunting the hills for a few weeks to bag the animal...different. Im not against whitetail guided hunts either, I hope to do one someday...but you can't deny an elk hunt is different than one.
The difference is in YOUR mind. I don't have a problem with either scenario.