HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time rabbit hunting with my dog!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
ButchA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First time rabbit hunting with my dog!

Dang farmcntry, you're out for the season? I hope you recover quick and can get ready for next season.

I don't know how well of a rabbit dog my dog Amber will be. She is a 100% house dog, family pet, etc... and has never really been hunting until now. I took my other dog (Sonny - 13 yr old black lab) a few years ago out to Amelia WMA and he did fine, but hewas a bit too big for flushing rabbits from the briars. When I kicked some briars and brush, he stood back and looked at me like, "Pffffftttt... I don't think so, pal. YOU go in there and get all torn up!". But now Sonny is 13 yrs old and way too old to hunt, and is on arthritis medication from the vet. [&o]

Amber is 1 1/2 yrs old and ready to go rabbit or squirrel hunting. All you have to do is show her her leash and she almost loses her mind, she goes so crazy, waiting to go for a walk. Let her off the leash, and she runs ahead but stays close - thank God. I don't think she would hunt deer. If she saw a deer, she might go "Yipe, yipe, yipe, yipe", and run the other way. That's why I want to start her out on rabbits, since she's got the beagle in her.

I'd help you with your beagles, if I really knew how to run them. Sorry...