HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - calling for deer
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Tazman
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: calling for deer

A few words of advice from my experience, only us a grunt as a last resort to turn a deer, usually the only time a grunt will work is on a dominant buck, lesser bucks when they hear a grunt may not want to tangle with a dominant buck and keep on getting up.

I stick with doe bleats cold calling about every 20-30 minutes, the second you have a deer coming your way or into a shooting lane stop calling, I blew it a few years back by rather than waiting for a nice 8 point to clear a tree he was standing behing looking for the doe, I hit the call again, he was only 20 yards away but not in a shooting lane, when I hit the call again, he froze and stared right at me/my stand. After a very tense 3-4 minutes he decided, I should be able to see a doe this close and I don' t! H turned back the way he had been traveling and never looked back.

This very same buck I had tried to turn with a grunt, he stopped and looked and continued on his way, I grunted louder, same thing, stopped and went on, when I hit the doe bleat he turned right around and circled back my way.