HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would you use this product if it cost a reasonable price?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
txjourneyman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you use this product if it cost a reasonable price?

Here at the university where I work we have a thermal imaging scanner for checking temps on our electrical equipment. I took it home once. That night my dogs were in my woods barking, I got the scanner out and checked out what was going on. I could clearly see the dogs and the raccoon they had treed. The thought has crossed my mind to use it as a scouting aid. It would be great to find bedding areas. I decided against it for a couple of reasons. First, I'm not sure it would be legal, however I'm very sure it wouldn't sit well with my ethics. Thats just me though. If someone else wants to do it thats not my concern.
The second reason, although its not a problem for me to borrow tools from work I am financially responsible for them if I leave campus with them. Our imaging camera cost close to $10k. I can't justify taking that on a scouting trip in hilly terrain on a 4 wheeler at night. Its just not worth the risk. If I can't find the deer the old fashioned way I don't need to be hunting.