HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fusion Ammo
Thread: Fusion Ammo
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 PM
country1
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fusion Ammo

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman
It did die right then and there and I was happy with it however, after them all saying how it didn't do much damage and that I should switch bullets. They all are very good shots and seem to do very well hunting btw so that's why I listened to them. I was afraid on a big buck that it wouldn't just drop it like it did with the doe. The doe isn't going to take near as much to kill as a large buck would so I was afraid that it wouldn't have done that to a buck. Is it a good deer bullet to use? So basically I don't need one that is going to expand and do a ton of damage?
[/quote]

HTM,

For deer, I want an expandingbullet, but I want it to expand just when it enters the vitals. When I was talking about flat nosed, hard cast bullets for large game I was referring to large game animials in Africa. This is why the game rifles there are large in diameter with lots of powder driving the hard cast, flat nosed bullet.

I commend you for asking the bullet question on this forum. You have learned the lesson that just because someone is a good shot (they could also just been lucky)does not mean they understand bullet performance and/or ballistics. Sometimes the ones who talk the most are the ones we should listen to the least, if at all. You errored on the side of caution, and I can't argue with that. I have not studied the Fusion bullet (I have looked at them in the stores) nor have I shot this bullet. This may be a very good bullet.

You mentiond that your rifle has become picky on ammo. Check to make sure that all the bolts and screws are tight on the action, barrel, barrel/action to stock, bases,rings, etc. DoNOT over-tighten! Also clean the bore ofyour rifle if it has not been cleaned. Be careful when doing this so you do not damage the rifling and crown. Afirearm should be cleaned regularly.