HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fusion Ammo
Thread: Fusion Ammo
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fusion Ammo

Exactly how much damage do you think you need to do? Dead is dead.

A big buck still isn't that much bigger dimensionally than a 100lb doe, and if your Fusion bullet went all the way through a doe, it'll surely get through the vitals of a buck, no matter how big it is. And if the shot is good, it won't go far. Just remember also that not every shot will drop a deer in its tracks, even if you hit it in the same spot in the vitals. I've had deer drop DRT from what I'd consider a marginal hit to the boiler room (a little higher and farther back than I like, but still a double-lung), and I've had a deer run 100 yards with a gaping hole in its heart from a 250 grain Dead Center muzzleloader bullet from 30 yards. So expecting every deer you shoot to drop at the shot and die might be a little unrealistic, unless you want to take nothing but head or neck shots (which I don't advise). Rest assured, if you put that Fusion bullet in the deer's boiler room, it's going to die pretty quick, no matter how big it is. And with a pass-through, if it does run out of sight, you're much more likely to have a good blood trail to follow because exit wounds tend to bleed more than entrance wounds in my experience.

Mike