HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way
Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 PM
hardcorehunter
Banned

Default RE: You guys that want to hunt the Lone Wolf way

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Don and everyone else who uses the lone wolf sticks and alpha or assault.For a morning hunt,do you pretty much know what tree your going up? You would practically have to as you can't evaluate sign in the dark,certainly can determine prevailing winds.
I am more inclined to use the sticks and light stand in the afternoon and go right up a tree in the morning.I guess with a bright eye or two in a tree and getting there well in advance of first light it could work out pretty well.
An other alternative would be to have a number of tree's that you have steps in and go in with just the stand on your back.Not as stealthy but pretty flexible.
I rarely hunt AM's and do 90% late afternoon till dark hunts. When I do hunt am's, I have found that approx 10 am till 2 00pm is gr8 during rut prerut. Morning hunting is something that i have found over the years to be not all that productive. Obviously one would have to know his woods well if he was going in in the dark and setting up. I have on occasions and I know where I am going...can't scout in the dark and look at terrain for funnels.