HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Am I gaining anything??
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
cooper_m22
Fork Horn

Default RE: Am I gaining anything??

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ORIGINAL: cooper_m22

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Not much, especially with the WSM. But hey! Any excuse to buy a new gun, eh what??
Elde I am not one to disagree with people too much but I have to here. Where do you get not much especially with the WSM?
If you check this chart off of Federal web site you will see between the 30-06 and 300 win mag and the 300 wsm using the same bullet 180 grain Barnes MRX the 300 WSM is the clear winner. And if you hand load the 300wsm like I do you can make that gap even farther.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/print/compare/rifle_compare.aspx?compare=634%2c636%2c637

And then if you compare the 300wsm and the 338 fed like you recommended. The 338 fed will not even come close .
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/print/compare/rifle_compare.aspx?compare=637%2c632
I'm not buying that the wsm will outperform the 300 winny, its just not possible. the win mag has alot more capacity, so you could get more from the larger case. cubic inches always makes the most horsepower.
But ammo manufacturers are bad about hypeing stuff, in 1997 remington legitimized the 7mm stw, rated at 3430 fps with a 140, in 1998 or 99 they brought out the 7mm RUM, the new catalog showed the STW rated at 3300 and the RUM at 3470. My personal 7mm STW runs a 140 at 3550 fps.
If you can load up the wsm and the winny to max loads in a model 70 action, the larger case will burn more powder and achieve more velocity
RR
Ok you can believe what you like, I am not asking you to believe what federal says I don’t believe them myself all the time and that post was just for reference, like I said in my post my loads can do better.
BULLET-180gr.Speer Spitzer BTSP POWDER- Hodgdon H4350
VELOCITY- 3005 fps and this was tested at 4000 feet.
And I will not ask you to believe me. But if you evercome up toMontanaI will show you proof.