HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Today was a good day, BBD
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Rickmur
Boone & Crockett

Default Today was a good day, BBD

Must have been that one black eyed bean I ate for good luck yesterday, all I can stand to eat is one. The saying is you eat them on New Years Day and it brings good luck.
Went to a new area by invitation this morning. I was told a general area to go and went in in the dark. Got set up before light about 75 yrdsoff of a grass field. Saw a few does butnothing I could shoot and I would have shot taken a doe if presented. Got down about 9:30 and while packing up I took notice of a buck ambling alone about 60 yrds away. I could tell he was a good one with the naked eye. I stopped packing up and nocked an arrow but the buck wasn't coming my way. I head out behind me to try and cut him off. Istart tocircle around after going about 35-40 yrds and am now a good hundred yrds away. He was never out of sight and we were coming together atwhat would seem to bea point that would put me 30-40 yrds from him if the wind stayed the same and if I didn't get picked off. After 45 minutes I closed to within what was 32 steps after stepping it off so it was a good 35 yrds. He went behind a scrub brush and I came to full draw. When he appeared again I drilled him through both lungs with a Shuttle T. He didn't know what hit him but after a few steps he figured it out. He piled up 35 yrds away. Awesome, awesomehunt. First time I ever pulled something like this off. He dressed at 138 lbs and had 15 countable points with a 181/2" inside spread. I will call him a 10 point though. I was by myself so I had to take pics back home but got a few in the woods without me in them.

A close up of all the gunk on his head