HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SC Stakeholder Report on Hounds
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM
StrutNtom
Typical Buck

Default RE: SC Stakeholder Report on Hounds

Our biggest problem here in SC are guys who take 20 walkers and turn them lose on a 50ac tract of land. Does anyone else see the problem in this? I dog hunted all my life until about four years ago. Dog hunting is a family tradition on both sides of my family. It has gotten to the point where there are only a few timber companies left in SC that will lease you their land for dog hunting and I heard recently that one of those companies will only allow the current lease holders to run dogs, not any new leases.

If SC would have put a tract size restriction or size of dog restriction (or both) in place 20 years ago I don't think it would have come to what it has in the state.

I see both sides. What has gotten us where we are is the mentaility that if you give to one "side" you are taking away and punishing another. A lot of the dog hunters won't compromise. They think they should be able to do what they want. Then the a lot of the "still" hunters won't compromise. They want be happy until dog hunting is illega.