HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand)
Old 12-31-2008, 07:05 AM
mouthcaller
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand)

I wouldn't touch the store brand Redhead scope. I don't know who makes it and in this turbulent economy who would you return it to for service if BPS goes out of business?

I don't think much of Simmons, which is actually made by Meade. My father made the mistake of buying one, a "whitetail classic" or somethinglike that,to put on a 7mm-08 we set up for the kids and that scope was dark had the worst eye relief I have ever seen on a hunting scope. Most of their stuff is junk in my opinion.

Bushnell - now you are talking. I think the trophy and legend represent decent entry level scopes and the elite series is really good. The 4200 is one of the very best scopes you can get at that price point and the 3200 is only slightly behind it. I have a 3200 Elite in 4X12 on my .243 and really like it. The raingard feature really works by the way - you can intentially fog the ocular lens with your breath and still see well enough to shoot.

Other good choices if you are on a tight budget are the Nikon Prostaff and Buckmaster, as well as the Burris Fullfield II. Also I would suggest looking at used scopes on eBay.