HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Straightness, how important is it?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 AM
Jasonlester
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Straightness, how important is it?

ORIGINAL: redneck buck hunter

The reason I asked the original question is I was looking at some new arrows and according to the arrow selection chart I need either the Beman ISC bowhunter with a .006 straightness or The ISC hunters with .003 straightness. I didnt know if that .003 difference was enough to drop an extra 30+ bucks. How do I test spine consistency? I'm only a second year archer/bowhunter so im not exactly a pro by any means, so would I be able to tell the diference if any at all?
Your not going to. Unless you have a spine checking tool. If you know someone with one you may decide to try it out. But I don't check mine. Most people don't. Buy the best arrows you can get like eveyone said and I think you'll be happy. Now if you keep shooting for years to come and you just want to push your limits out some and have the extra cash to spend on special tools etc. Can realy get into the tech side of archery.

On the other hand you could be like me and go the total opposite and end up shooting a hand made selfbow and rivercane arrows.

My point is not to totaly overthink or over complicate archery. It used to be based on simplicity. Newer bows and all the gadgets and gizmos flooding the market cloud that. You don't necessarily need everything you hear about. (I made that mistake early on. Furtunatly I had little money to much about it)

Its good to look into your arrows and I think your on the right track. 30 more a dozen I'd probably spend. Why? well because I'll have those arrows for years and years. If your carefull not to lose them in the grass etc. You will too. In fact It been a while since I lost one practicing. Deer hunting ...I can't clain the same...2 arrows = 2 deer....acceptable losses.

Dang it now I'm going to go and loose them all.......LOL