HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Let Him Go So He Can Grow-Who Cares??
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2002, 09:53 AM
NorthJeff
Typical Buck

Default RE: Let Him Go So He Can Grow-Who Cares??

John, as far as that bait goes, it provides a brief energy boost of carbs, of usually non-nutritional intake. Corn is only around 7% protein-compared to 15% protein for fertalized woody browse, or 8% protein for unfertalized, and most of the other stuff is worse-almost like a bait pile of candybars-great for energy boosts, but not much substance. Much of the browse is better for the deer than the actual bait, and relief baiting in the yard only effects deer in a 200 yard direction, and produces ambush trails for predators. Around my house people start baiting in Nov, and stop around the Nov. 15th opener, very few continue to muzzleload season. By the way I did throw some corn out during gun season for my dad so he'd see a couple of deer, and he did so he was happy.

I can understand what your saying about the spike/8 point thing, but I'm mainly looking at it as a meat thing. Most of the spikes are in the 100 pound class, with less than 40 pounds of de-boned meat. A mature doe will weigh around 140 up here and give over 50 pounds of meat. If someone lives in an area where they can't take a doe, I can understand wanting to take a spike, especially if that's all the see, but I suspect sometimes people are shooting the spike so they can say they shot a "buck". Many of these people will say they are meat hunters and it doesn't matter, but when in actuallity they are shooting the spike because it has antlers.

I know it's a hot topic, but I guess I have a mission to try and get the facts out...at least facts that are based on science and not tradition.

John---Packers or Lions fan?

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.