HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shock wave
Thread: Shock wave
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Zugunruhe

Default RE: Shock wave

Got my first muzzleloader kill and shockwave deer this weekend, results were similar to what others have reported. Deer was a shed antlered buck (thought it was a large doe) ~165 lbs., shot was broadside with deer at a fast trot - 35 yds. from a treestand. Load was 110 gr. 777 2F and a 200 gr. shockwave. Bullet entered low and directly behind the shoulder, at the shot, deer mule kicked and took off. Watched it run up the ridge and fall over dead roughly 100 yards away. Went to the site of the hit and only found two tufts of hair/fat, no blood. Followed the track uphill and found one spot of blood 50 yards from the site of the shot, then another two drops five yards further ahead- great bloodtrail (though un-needed) from that point to the deer. Upon inspection and field dressing, the heart was completely gone and chest cavity completely full of blood. Entrance hole appeared to be the size of a quarter, exit about the same. Had this deer been in heavy cover and there been no snow on the ground, tracking may have been challenging.

These bullets are very accurate from my CVA Kodiak, though sighting in took about 15 rounds to get my scope dialed in. They shoot so much flatter than anything I have tried before! I expected longer shots from this stand as it overlooks a corn field and some CRP ground, thus the hotter long range bullet/load. Definitely was overkill for this deer. I will continue to use these bullets. May work up a load for the 250 grain Gold Dots that everyone is raving about for closer ranges.