HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need a nice safety harness!!
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a nice safety harness!!

ORIGINAL: youngfart

BGFisher
Well thank you for the complement? Actually I'm not your son and I'm no kid ,LMAO I'm 53 and have been bow huntig for a long time. Safety is my utmost repect I give to the sportseeing I have 2 freinds whom have been hurt in falls and one's a quad so I dotake my safety toa T. I've tried the safety harness you explained and I too felt to much restraint in them and very uncomfortable. In a similar type too the one I mentioned in the above saftey strap, I have fallen1 1/2feet twice and have had no problems with it. Just a rude awakening ,in turn I was wide awake for the rest of the day,I'm 5' 11'' and 190lbs and had no instances where I was totally imobilized and hadthe belt cinche up so that I wasn't able to breath. Bye the way I was able to reach over and grab my tree and right my self up and able to climb back into my stand. I even stood on a stand and had the bottombreak off and fell 3 feet that time,againI was able to get back on track and get down safely. I'm comfortable wearing the single strap and this design looks to be an improvement to what I did use. Just mythoughts on this design.Best of luck on finding the right one for you.

By yourscreen name you are just a young fart, and I mean no disrespect in this matter. Hopefully you can see a little humor init. Yeah, you are not my son, but you are young enough (compliment) nearly to be my son. Well, not quite. I'm 61.

Glad you survived your couple incidents without issue. For some it doesn't go as well and that is what we must stress---for the masses. Actually I am not so certain that there is any harness system that can be what I'd call perfect. Many won't use a harness for comfort reasons, as you found, or any have so many straps that they are a pain and users don't want to bother with them. Still, it's been proven many times that a single waist beltcan be almost as dangerous as falling from height. Can cut off breathing and/or turn you upside down which can make SAVING you almost impossible.

There's little doubt in my mind that the best solution is to prevent falls in the first place, but I have to admit that even I have fallen asleep at times and nearly fallen out. That's why I keep my tetherhigh enough that I can't fall out of my stand in the first place.

Not trying to say Ihave all the solutions nor was I pseronally attacking you. Just stating what I seemed to observe from the picture. That darn thing would probably make a very good linemans' belt to use for installing hang-on stands though.

Personally I use an SOP Deluxe harness, simply because my wife got it for me abut 7 years ago. One of the best at that time and still good today. Constant use has shown me a few tricks in how to keep the staps from getting tangled. As with so many things it's practice that makes things easier. I'm still not crazy about the harness itself, but I do like the Prusic knot and rope that attach to the tree. Easy to use and fullproof. Maybe use this with the Loggy Bayou harness or something.

I wish you well and safe hunting in your future. For me, I'm getting a little older and m starting to think in terms of a ground blinds. Pretty hard to get hurt falling out of a stool, huh?
Rocky