HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifle Advice?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Advice?

I am a big fan of the 308 Win., but if it were "one rifle", I'd say 30.06 Spr. To echo others' opinions, the 30.06 Spr. is a proven cartridge. With a little hand loading work, this cartridge is capable of handling anything from 110 grain to 220 gr. bullets. Probably the 180 gr. is the optimum. If you do not hand load or care not to go that route, there are many, many great choices in quality factory ammo. And if any cartridge will pass the "Two Dot" test, it would be the 30.06 Spr.

As for rifle, your list is all good. Fit and feel are very important. If it fits, buy it. I know of no marked difference in quality. If I were choosing, it would be the Winchester 70. These are now being made by a high quality manufacturer for sure. Plus the controlled feed would be nice if I were in a panic trying to drop something that was trying to "drop" me !!!

In my opinion, good glass is worth every dollar you are able to spend. I have seen so many guys with great shooting rifles, and then go "Blue Light Special" on the scope. In glass, there are some real bargains, but in general the "top end", high dollar scopes are worth every penny. Realistically, not everybody can drop $1000 - $1800 on a scope. Fortunately, there are plenty of great scopes in the $350 - $600 range. My suggestion would be the Zeiss Conquest, No. 4 reticule, 3-9x50 mm.