HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PA Flintlock / Late archery
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 05:02 PM
BTBowhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Flintlock / Late archery

ORIGINAL: CCPaHunter

Ahunting friend of mine got permission from a friend of his to let me hunt his property. There is a hollow at the back of his yard that holds a pile of deer during the day. He shot a nice buck out of it in gun season but apparently it wasn't the big one that he had been seeing back there. On the other side of the hollow is an open field.Along the edge of the field is a short but steepwooded hill side thatconnects the hollow to a still standing cornfield a couple of hundred yards away. The whole area is ringed with houses whichI'm not real comfortable with. We went in there on Saturday to hang a stand and deer came flying out on all sides like a covey of quail.It is their bedding area and I'll have to get in there super early in the a.m. this Saturday before they get in there. With all of the eyes and noses I'll probably get busted waiting for the big guy to show but it ought to be fun. I should be able to seeanything that comes from the corn to me. By the way, this is the fist time I'll be using climbing sticks and screw in steps. How on earth do you use a safety harness while climbing these? I use it when climbing with mySummit climber but with steps?[&:]Good luck in the late season all. Ken
Best system I've seen for hang on stands is a safety rope with a prusic knot. Summit has one but you can make your own too.

[link=http://www.summitstands.com/productdetail.aspx?id=329141]
It has to be put up once the stand is up.. Basically, you attach the heavy rope above the stand about as high as you can reach and tie the other end near the ground. Attach your harness or vest to the prusiv knot on the long rope and slide it up as you go.

A good friend just fell 20 feet and broke two ribs and got s aserious concussion and this rig would have saved him. With all his heavy clothes, he caught the treestand seat wrong getting into the stand and his balance changed just enough BAM! he's on the ground!

Good luck and be safe!
Sequence to Tie the Prusik Knot:

1. Begin the Prusik knot by connecting the ends of a smaller diameter cord using the Fishermans Knot. Put the looped cord behind the loop it is being tied to. Adjust the cord so the knot does not go to the end.

[align=center]

[align=left]2. Pass the end with the knot through the loop three times. At this point you can add more winds or turns around the climbing rope to create more friction as necessary.[/align]
[align=left]3. Pass the end with the knot under the opposite side's loop. Do not let the winds overlap. Tighten the knot evenly.[/align]
[align=left]4. Tighten and work the cord until it is cinched tight as shown. This is the completed Prusik Knot.[/align][/align]