HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Climbing Tree Stands and Tree Limbs
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 11:18 AM
rockytop
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing Tree Stands and Tree Limbs

okiejim, welcome to the board. Bullsi hit it with the saw. Gerber makes a folding hand saw for about $19 that will make short work of limbs big and small and that thing is sharp. I had it slip off a sapling I was cutting last year and it hit me in the leg and did enough damage to put me in the emergency room because I couldn' t get it to stop bleeding. If you get the gerber, just remember it cuts so good because it' s sharp. It also comes with a bone blade that will cut thru the skull of a deer in short order.
Back to the tree trimming, I try to select several trees in the late summer and trim all the limbs that interfere with climbing and shooting. I use to clear large shooting lanes but now I leave alot of that to help hide me from the deer.
Another great time to do the trimming is right after deer season. You' ve got all the deer travel routes fresh in your mind, so go ahead and pick out the trees for next year and trim them.
During the season, if I find a new tree that needs climbing, I just get there earlier than normal and make short work of all the limbs and then settle down in the stand for a hunt. I have had does come up to see what all the sawing was about.
Good luck to you.