HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 01:07 PM
mr.mc54
Typical Buck

Default RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HEAR YA!!!!

What would it hurt to have more deer? As long as they aren't starving and there is cover and food whats it to the DNR. You know when everything started to head south was when CWD was discovered. Then the DNR over reacted and started to change their philosophy to lets kill them all. There is no Known case where CWD has affected a human and yet they are trying to eliminate deer in those areas. If I lived there ( over my cold dead body would anyone kill deer on my land).
You can see by the pictures of monster bucks that have been taken that the DNR is full of s..t.

In Iowa there is plenty of food and cover to support the deer and we could have the same thing here. I just can't understand why CWD is even a concern. It may have been here for years. I used to live in Waukesha County WI in the 60's and I know I saw deer that were probably ill with CWD and no-one knew it. We killed deer that were skinney and looked ill and left them. That was the right thing to do(just like cattle). In this day and age deer could do well with 1 deer per acre, sounds crazy but one acre can feed a cow on my area. Deer feed on my hay bales and silage bunkers and I don't mind. They were here first! Many people from the city feel that a deer feeding in their petunias is the worst thing that could happen. Well who was here first? If you don't like wild life in your yard -stay in the city. I believe that is the problem with car kills too. A person who is used to seeing deer on the road drives carefully and watches for deer.

So who is the blame here, the deer or us ? I think a neighbor said it right , when he said that he is going around our area and asking every farmer to forgo deer hunting next year. We are going to manage the deer our selfs. this will be aprox. 2000 acres of refuge next year. This will put our numbers back to where they should be in one year. We don't care what the DNR thinks cause this is our land . Its funny that you mention Bufflo county. I don't know if you know this but many farmers and land owners have been doing this for years(managing their deer herd. See what can be done with selective management. They hardly ever kill does - unless it need be. You can have does and bucks and still have large bucks. Its what we as hunters are willing to do.

OUT WEST CWD HAS BEEN AROUND FOR MANY MANY YEARS AND DO THEY ERADICATE THE DEER OR ELK HERDS? no, They let nature take its course.

MAY BE IM WRONG IN FEELING THE WAY I DO - BUT WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?