HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Trapper22
Spike

Default RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in crawford county and work in the state of Iowa that has a thriving deer herd. Allamakee and Clayton county Iowa are some of the best deer countryin the U.S.for chances at big bucks. I work with several deer hunters in Iowa that see more deer on one drive than I'll see in 10 years hunting in grant or crawford county WI. The adage of we have toget the population at a 2 does to 1 buck ratio to get larger bucks is not true. Iowa is proof of that.The Lovesten buck came out of centralIowa. There are several monsters shot over there every year. When watching hunting shows anymore the 2 states they usually head to for monster whitetails are Iowa and Illinois. I know that Wisconsin has Buffalo county but that's about it for the entire state for a go to area, and part of that is because so much land up there is under control of leases to get bigger deer. In Iowa I know for a fact you have a good chance of shooting the buck of a lifetime on public ground. I'm not saying that can't happen in Wisconsin but I'd much rather have Iowas deer herd than ours. The chance of shooting a big onewhile seeing quite a few deer at the same time isvirtually a gurantee.Their DNR seems to actually listen to the hunters.

I was over at a freinds house the night of thelast day of our deer season and was talking to him and his neighbor. They were skinning a couple of does in his garage they had shot that day. They went out for aboutan hour and each got a doe and saw over 20 deer that night. Iowa had an early antlerless season that weekend and will have one the end of Dec. as well. However the kill during Iowas regular 2 shotgun season which the second one ends tomorrow is down so the DNR in Iowa is already wondering if the extra antlerless seasons are even needed next year. That is a DNR that is looking out for the health of the deer herd and what the hunters who buy the licenses that fund the wages and programs want as well. Wisconsin DNR are you listening?? Are you smart enough to listen??

While I was over there that night, my freinds neighbor flat out said if theIowa DNRever screws up the deer herdlike Wisconsin's has managed to do he'd be done hunting.He works with huntersfrom Wisconsin and hesaid there's no way he could go out gun hunting and not see a deer all day or only4 or 5 all year. They shoot plenty of does over there and also shoot some awesome bucks as well. The proof of thatis the racks the 2 of them have which are several8 to 12 pointers with 16 to 20 inch spreads even while seeing a lot of does and harvesting quite a few. Iowa also has an early youth season which this guys daughter (I think shes around 10 or 12)took part in. It was her first hunt ever.They went out for about 20 minutes one night and she dropped a nice 10 pointer which is almost the size of the biggest buck I've every shot in 25 years of hunting in WI. So in no way shape or form does shooting every doein sight and killing the herd to get it to a 2 to 1 ratio increase the amount of big bucks in an area. The proof is across the river in Iowa!!!

The biggestlive buck I saw this year was in Iowawhile driving aroundan area of public ground. I went over there one night and my freind and I went for aquickdrive and wesaw around 25 that night includingthe above mentioned 10 or 12 pointer. It was the first time I'd seen over 4 deer in a group in over 10 years. I just don't see deer like that in WI. but I sure wish I did.