HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What a fitting end to a GREAT season.
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 PM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default What a fitting end to a GREAT season.

I had a hiccup on Halloween day......but other than that....I had the best season I could imagine. New land....new doe groups......different bucks......the full gamut.

I was able to take 2 does early......mix in a couple more as the season progressed......take the Halloween buck (the hiccup that was a very late recovery)......my big (Ok...for these parts) 6-pointer......and also got to mix in a little ground hunting (and treestand hunting) with the longbow. Though I wasn't successful with the trad gear.....it made me realize I want to do more hutning with it in the coming years.

Today I went to the piebald woodlot across the street......where I haven't taken a deer in over 2 years. I almost always see them, there....but they seem to always see or smell me, first. Last night I was on the ground and saw them skirt me through a pasture. Tonight I got set up where I thought they would enter the woodlot....and waited.

I saw them coming.....several of them. I had a couple chances early....but too many eyes. I finally picked my spot on one of them and loosed my arrow. She only went 100 yds or so....into the pasture....and I watched her pile up.

She was a REALLY light brown (compared to the other does).....and I guess it was just a color phase. When I got up to her....I couldn't believe the size of her. She's easily the biggest doe I've ever taken.

Here's to a great ending to a great season.....my NC doe No. 5 for the season....and 7th overall deer (this year).

I'm gonna take a much needed break from all things hunting.....including HNI for a while. I'll check in from time to time to check PM's (MY email address is also on my profile).....and if you've been invited here to turkey hunt....I look forward to hearing from you. If someone would be so kind as to sign me up for the turkey bowhunting contest....I would greatly appreciate it.

My closing day doe...

God bless you all and I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas.