HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting only bucks irresponsible?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 PM
muzzyman88
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

I've read both sides of this controversy. I don't think its irresponsible. Let the hunter make his own mind up. I know several people who, getting up there in age, are "getting soft" and don't have the heart to shoot a doe, especially if they have young ones. I don't see a problem with that. Myself on the other hand, I will shoot a doe and be happy with it. I like taking a doe early in archery season if I can.

On the other side, I would like to know what having a more even buck to doe ratio has to do with growing quality bucks. I just don't see the logic in this. Maybe our property has some magic clover or pixie dust that gives us the bucks we have. Our buck to doe ratio is definitely out of whack by apretty good margin. Yes, we're trying to take more does out of the herd, but its not our primary objective. Our goal is quality food and age. That IMO, has far more to do with the quality of the bucks than a more even buck to doe ratio.

I work for Penn State University and have spoken with a deer biologist there. One thing he explained to me is the dominant bucks and does are just that, dominant. They have first dibs on preferred food and breeding. They will dictate who gets to eat and breed at any given time. However, this is simply the opinion of one biologist.

We're working on culling more does out simply because....none of us wants to see 30 does for every buck. I'm guessing our property is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10:1 or so. Again, thats a guess and it could be significantly higher than I realize. But again, I don't honestly hold a lot of weight on this more even buck/doe ratio bit.