HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting Units in Wyoming
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk Hunting Units in Wyoming

I've recently refreshed myself on wy units etc...

I have to say, i find it kinda annoying that they only have elk tags, deer tags etc....rather than elk-bow, elk-rifle.

I feel like I'm forced to wait and compete with rifle hunters to draw a tougher tag, then go and bowhunt using a rifle tag?

Sure they might be able to issue more tags this way, ie combining the bow and gun hunters into just elk hunters/tags,

I was considering putting in for a general elk tag as a 2nd choice....but I'm wondering if non-res can even draw a gen tag as a 2nd choice?

Also some of the better limited draw units....how long it'll take to draw one of those.

I'm building pts etc....not just for elk, but just about everything, and WY bonus pts aren't cheap either.

Oh and another thing, you draw your elk tag....then if you want to bow hunt you have to buy an archery stamp on top of that just to use archery equipment!!? what's that about??

Then also non-res have to draw a gen tag....but then all residents can just buy the same tag OTC, so that I would assume would me way more pressure, vs a limited tag, where only people who have drawn that tag can be in that area/hunting.

Still think I'm going to just wait/build pts until I draw a limited area, I'm not even sure you can apply as a 2nd choice for a gen tag? if so I'm going to do that, but I'm not counting on drawing a gen tag as a 2nd choice, seems like your 1st choice is the only one that counts....my plan, then is to draw a limited entry tag then after that perhaps start doing gen tag hunting trips. would hate to burn pts on a gen tag.